The mission of Orbital Technologies Corporation (ORBITEC) is to:
Develop, demonstrate, and deploy innovative technologies and advanced products that enhance the quality of human life and support mankind's exploration of the universe.
Headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, ORBITEC (A Wholly-Owned Subsidiary of Sierra Nevada Corporation(SNC)) is a national leader in aerospace systems development and deployment. Since 1988, ORBITEC has been awarded over $210 million in contracts from government and industry for aerospace subsystems integration, including the two largest Phase III Small Business Innovation Research Programs in NASA's history.
The Company was started in 1988 and is still lead by one of the originating founders, Thomas Crabb. The Company recently was acquired by the Sierra Nevada Corporation in July 2014, and has operated without disruption as a wholly owned subsidiary. The Company’s traditional core strengths are to advance and demonstrate technologies into commercial and highly reliable flight products with its development, engineering, manufacturing, and management capabilities. Over its 27 year history, the Company has been awarded over 420 contracts worth more than $210 million, and has been profitable since its second year; excluding planned internal investments. ORBITEC is a Wisconsin corporation wholly owned by the Sierra Nevada Corporation (“SNC”) with headquarters in Madison, and operations in Middleton and Baraboo Wisconsin. The Company meets significant government contract compliance, is certified to ISO 9001, and is certified to AS9100 (last AS9100 audit produced NO findings).
The Company maintains strong and growing product and service capabilities in the following diverse areas:
- ORBITEC Maneuvering systems.
- Upper-stage propulsion systems.
- Booster-stage propulsion systems.
- Advanced Propellant Systems.
- Life support and thermal systems for short and long term duration space and aerospace systems.
- Science automation and control systems for space, science, and other product controls.
- Controlled environment bioproduction systems and bioproducts for spider silk and pharmaceutical proteins (this activity may be spun off into a separate Bioproduct and BioProduction Systems business unit).
EMERGENCY RESPONSE SYSTEMS
- Ultra high pressure fire suppression systems for wild land, structural, vehicle, and industrial applications
EXTRATERRESTRIAL RESOURCE UTILIZATION
- General acquisition and processing systems to use resources from planetary destinations.
- Automated Equipment to process and harvest oxygen and water from Lunar, Mars, and asteroidal material that was demonstrated in an Earth Analog with control from NASA Mission Control in Houston.
- Lunar and Mars regolith and simulants.
ORBITEC operates as a separate business with its own structure and rates for competitiveness and agility. It’s capabilities most directly relate to the Sierra Nevada Space Systems Group.